Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mr. Pollo

http://leoweekly.com/dining/mr-pollo-restaurant-offers-simple-and-safe-taste-peru

(Mr. Pollo is currenlty sans website, so I will defer you to the source that originally offered me a waft of Mr. Pollo)

No, you cannot find Peruvian food at my friend's, Will's, house. You may find it in Louisville - and only in one place in Louisville - at Mr. Pollo, a peruvian chicken and chips shop located off Klondike Lane. Assimilated poorly into its surroundings as it sticks out like a green egg, it features roast chicken, roast chicken, and roast chicken as its entree options. I am not a fan, generally-speaking, of roast chicken; however, the rub on this chicken is so spectacular that I become a fan yesterday evening (it gave me thoughts of the distant Rollo Pollo that used to be situated by the mall that I would frequent in my middle school years). The rub was a spicy jamaican sort of rub that needed no sauces.

The chefs do give you two sauces with your meal, though: a yellow and an orange. The orange is spicy and amazing - I would literally put that sauce on anything. The yellow is more buttermilky and celery like - good but not clearing my taste bud hurdles of amazingness. Our family meal (number 6) was served with rice and beans and a whole chicken. The rice and beans weren't up to Havana Rumba standards, but were a nice accompinament to the main show.

The restaurant offered many drink and dessert options, which looked yummy. The chef asked us if it was our first time there, to which we responded yes. He gave us all small, appetizer portions of the house's soup. Soooo exquisite! It reminded me of indian cuisine in its spice-choice and had little bits of rice mashed up in it (which, texture-wise, I love for some reason). I would definitely come back again just to get soup or a chicken.

While Mr. Pollo is located near tons of ethnic groceries and restaurants on Klondike Lane, its building is small and hard to find. It's a shot-gun, hole-in-the-wall that's painted an ugly dark blue. Several families of teenagers came in to eat while we were there, but we saw one car of upper-middle class males pull up and then away from the restaurant after deciding it looked too shady. It was simply splendid (but probably did a number on my sodium count!).

I'm going to go re-heat and re-eat it in the lunch room right now. Smells like a plan!

This restaurant should be put on your list of Louisville must-eats. It's inexpensive (six dollars for a meal) and completely different and better than all other roast chicken in town. When a restaurant serves me a dish that offers my tastebuds something completely novel and completes the meal with other suburb items, it gets a must eat recommendation from me. Go there now!!!!! (I will leave you with no culinary alternative on this posting! Do it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment