Monday, October 11, 2010

Grape Leaf

My father always revels about the breakfasts the grape leaf now serves (they’re even open before 8am on Sunday morning!). This is the local Greek original, and to me, steadfast staple of an aware Louisvillian’s palate. The shwarma, the lamb, the Spanish burrito, the salads (oh my!), and the hummus are all part of the experience. I can still remember bringing my high school’s cultural awareness club to the Grape Leaf and downed a lamb gyro. The bliss my peers and I experienced was rather extreme. It was an excellent bonding experience of joy and warmth.
Last week I went there and tried out a new dish for me – chicken sumac. I had recently discovered sumac at Saffron’s Persian cuisine on Market Street. They sprinkle it all over the humus served there and include it as a rub on meats. It’s rare to find and expensive to buy, but armed with a good recipe can do wonders in a simple fashion to any meat. At Grape Leaf the chicken was fried with vegetables and had an excellent, unified taste. The server was smart enough to bring out our Greek salads (like the house except served with feta cheese) before the meal so that we could enjoy some early yummyness. The salads include lots of romaine leafs, cut up fresh fruit (pineapple and melons), some craisins or pomegranate seeds, big almonds, and a wonderful vinaigrette dressing applied liberally. Wow! Everytime I eat that salad I’m reminded of just how wonderful a creative salad – and healthy – can be.
Recently I also ventured to try something known as the Spanish burrito. It’s pinto bean madness with gooey cheese. I don’t remember much else about it except that it was served with very good pico de gallo and was enough for three people. It was extremely good as well!
The ambience of the restaurant I should note as well. It used to be a well-lit, smelly hole in the wall. Since it expanded into the beauty shop the owner’s wife owned next door they have upgraded the interior. It’s now calming and quiet, complimented by a waterfall, and wonderful bathroom – but odd floor-length mirror on the way there. There is also a patio area for dining with large grape leaves covering the latticework hanging above. Trains occasionally pass and surprise rains also occasionally ruin the blissful moments spent in the outdoors, but otherwise dining outside is not to be missed!
Next time you’re looking for limitless Greek choices and the best ambience in town, come to the Leaf! For a cheaper, speedier Mediterranean experience walk a block west to Shiraz on Frankfort Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment