Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cafe Lou-Lou


So this is surprising. A good, local Italian restaurant that opened up in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and is N'Orleans themed... that I don't frequent. Hmmm. Goat cheese pizza, good desserts, why don't I go there more?

There is something about stuffing food that keeps me away. Indian I do. Italian's just downright addicting. When I eat Italian, for some reason, pizza does not appeal to me unless if it's extremely thin crust and has italian sausage with big fennel stuck in it. I wholeheartedly love pasta. Enough busywork trying to make sense of why I haven't been to Cafe Lou-Lou in a year!

The place is good! They use fresh, local ingredients and their prices aren't exhorbitant. They offer a warm environment with a bar section (where you're likely to bop into folks you played sports with in high school) and a loud, bright atmosphere in the family-style seating section. As far as the fare goes, I’ve only ever had the pizzas and calzones there (and maybe a salad once). I’ve eaten there twice since it’s moved (i.e., not much). It’s not a spot I think of. But after eating there last time, I completely fell in love with it.

I’ve had the pizza with goat cheese (always good) and that used to be my go-to. But last time I went with a health-conscious, ex-personal trainer friend of my parents. He got feta cheese, chicken pizza perhaps with tomatoes or spinach on top. It was either no sauce or low sauce, but the point is that it was exquisite! The feta and the chicken there on pizza is unbeatable. Something about the chicken – I think it is local and low-fat – made the chicken taste out of this world, and I’m not even a chicken person (except I find myself saying that a lot these days). Anyway, I would recommend anything there.

However, if you're looking to not be stuffed, steer clear of the calzones!! If you care to dine on simply wonderful Italian fare that comes from a - shutter - chain restaurant that I actually really enjoy (though have only been to twice), dine at California Pizza Kitchen!

3 comments:

  1. Glad my selection for a family birthday dinner could inspire a post :) One of my favorite restaurants hands down. I've surprisingly never had their pizza. The black bean lasagna is out of this world, like I told you earlier. Last time I was there, my mom and I split the shrimp lavash on the app list, and it was heavenly. In the way of calzones, you can't go wrong with the classic four cheese one, but you're right. Expect to get a take out box. They also have great specials every day. Once I got this crawfish ravioli that was wonderful, and I wished it was on the menu as a permanent item. Everything there is a crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shouldn't have read this so early in the morning. My mouth is watering. I hate Cali Pizza Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why dislike the pizza kitchen?

    On Tuesdays at Cafe Lulu, according to their website, they offer a scallops meal that looks divine!

    ReplyDelete