Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bristol Bar & Grille

During my youth upon entering a catered event and seeing a shining steel tray of the Bristol’s green chili wontons, I think I probably had a miniature foodgasm in my mouth. The Bristol is just that good. In high school there was one local hangout – which JS always makes fun of our friends for – that I would always gladly gravitate towards with friends and family. For Christmas brunches, for late-night friend get-togethers, with friends named Sarah Jessica-Parker and with just my parents I always gladly dined at the Bristol Bar and Grille. The location on Bardstown Road near Longest Ave. is my original favorite, but today I like dining at the chic downtown locale or the peaceful Hurstborne Lane location. I have even stolen a bite at the Jewish Hospital hotel location!
A true meal for me always starts off with the green chili wontons, filled with mozzarella and green chilies. The recipe for these guys, according to the courier journal’s website, packs one pound of mozzarella per batch, which is a lot, and a ton of oil. Nonetheless, this is fried goodness, a half order of which is not worth passing up. I should note that the wontons come with a side of guacamole, which isn’t really guacamole so much as it is green-colored zesty mayonnaise with some fresh parsley sprinkled on top. It’s good and worth saving (or ordering more of) to eat with the free French bread mini-loaves that come before your meal.
All meals come with a house salad with an excellent homemade blue cheese, mix dressing and bread. The salads are always fresh and include specs of cottage cheese, which I don’t even like but lovvvvve mixed with this salad dressing.
For the main course as a kiddo I always went for the freddi’s noodles (alfredo pasta). Let’s hope I never ate the free crayons! As I grew older the Caesar salad beckoned, as well as pork dijonaise with homemade skillet fries (unlike anything you’ve ever eaten), Bristol burger, pharoah’s revenge (i.e., the middle eastern grilled cheese made of havarti, spinach, and onions in a phyllo dough shell), and, of recent, Theresa’s sweet linguine. This last dish has taken my tastebuds by storm continuously for the past five years! It’s in a sweet cream sauce, that has a mysterious Cajun, beet flavor (that I love even though I don’t like beets) that makes the dish simply irrestiable. It features chicken, parmesan, and shredded beets on the top. If only I could figure out who Theresa was!
Their wine selection is great – last time there I had a sensational merlot – and the desserts are very good too and decently priced. The raspberry chocolate moose is fabulous! If you’re wanting an intimate setting, reasonable prices, a lot to eat, and dependabley good food, dine at the Bristol. For a lunch, sandwich shop version of the Bristol that infuses creative-genius into the menu, try Meridian CafĂ©.

No comments:

Post a Comment