Friday, September 24, 2010

Red Star Tavern


Last night a group of coworkers descended upon the Red Star Tavern for an evening of drinks, fun, and cheap food. This is precisely what we found. 5 dollar wines, 3 dollar beers, 5 dollar mixed drinks, and half price appetizers. We ordered several of the house cabernets, some Samuel Adams Oktoberfests, and white Russians and commenced the evening. The service was prompt and nice – they accomidated us and served us these happy hour specials at a table inside, even though they reported that they usually just reserve them for those who sit at the bar or outside (to make it look busy, perhaps?).

We ordered a lot of food! Some of the ahi tuna bites, which were simply scrumptious and char-grilled on the outside and raw on the other. Those were just fabulous in terms of taste. Calamari could have been skipped – it tasted like “friend nothing,” as my friend said. The sweet potato fries were delectable. We also got a less-than-great order of spinach dip. I liked it sufficiently, but my coworkers were not impressed by it (it tasted canned, I’ll admit). The whole reason I chose to come to the Red Star Tavern was to grab some of its fabulous corn bread. My best friend first introduced me to the cornbread back in 2005 and I’ve been heading back to only this restaurant every time I’ve been on fourth street (i.e., next to never) ever since. The bread comes out with a honking knife, a grand dollop of butter on top, and is served in a black metal circular skillet of the good stuff. Little chili peppers fill in the inside to make the bread just that much more southern, rich, and wonderful. The taste is neither too sweet nor salty, but I could always use a little more butter.

I embarked on a new food adventure and ordered the nachos, which were good but a little too filled with saucy bean stuff. The accompanying salsa tasted like cool refrigerator-inside (yum yum!) and I opted not to use it as a condiment.

Our waitress got our checks wrong and gave us incorrect change, warranting me to leave no tip since she already took out 50% (my bill was 2.50, mind you). Overall the experience was downright fabulous and I wouldn’t hesitate to go back there with coworkers for an evening of inexpensive, post-work fun. The icing on our cake was stepping out into the street to see some sort of mixed martial arts fight in session (and to people watch the awesome spectators all evening long). If I had to recommend another venue for a post-work get together that wasn’t downtown (getting people out to holiday manor would never happen after work, though) I would suggest stopping at Mojito’s tapas restaurant and bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment