Thursday, September 23, 2010

Addis Red Sea

Yes, I have eaten up and down the banks of the Red Sea and can say that it is very good. Perhaps armed with a coupon or who knows with what inspiration (oh yes! I remember now. It was a faux-coupon. I had to convince my friend to come, so I sent her a “coupon” from me for a free appetizer there! So silly.), I put on my adventure cap and visited an Ethiopian restaurant with my weekly culinary-adventure buddy last summer in Boston and went to Porter Square to try Addis Red Sea Ethiopian cuisine. I had not had Ethiopian food in about seven years since trying poor Ethiopian cuisine in the basement of a Louisville hotel at a former version of the Queen of Sheeba. I was prepared for a renewed experience.
It was about 5 o’clock on a sweaty Tuesday afternoon when we entered the sunlit-filled establishment. There were a few people already seated in the well-decorated establishment. You could either sit on the floor or at normal tables. My friend and I opted for a table by the window, the table made from a vine-strung basket the lid of which was turned upside-down half-way through the meal and used as our plate. We got some appetizer (dabo perhaps) and then two entrees of lamb and chicken. As always I liked my friend’s item more than my own. We both had enough to feed about three people. Their bread there is sooo scrumptious, which is great because the bread was the downfall with my last Ethiopian dining experience. The meal was sensational, as we mopped up pieces of yellow and orange saucy meats with our bread and chatted about our future in the glowing sunlight. Were I to head back to Cambridge today, I might hit up addis or the ice cream spot there on the corner of Porter Square for its maddening coconut goodness of a scoop of ice cream or JP Licks for its oreo delight (and I don't even like oreo). Why am I talking about ice cream now?

No comments:

Post a Comment