Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tumbleweed

http://tumbleweedrestaurants.com/
Known for cheap margs, good ole’ tex mex, and the slowest service under the Southern sun, this southwest saloon hails from weed roots down on Mellwood immediately adjacent to the Mellwood Arts center (did it start in the early ‘90s?). Today there are many locations in Louisville, as well as other states (Wooster, Ohio being one). Growing up, I consistently begged my family to take me to Tumbleweed so that I could get wasted on margs – no, just kidding. So that I could perfect my pacman skills while waiting for a table, get a large sprite, free chips and salsa, and order a soft taco and waffle fries off the kids menu each and everytime (location being the present Wild Eggs restaurant on Dutchman’s Lane). In Middle School I would drag willing friends there for hours of giggles in a booth all of our own (I believe the funniest thing we giggled about was how my one friend was taking medication, back in the day when we thought that old people things were hilarious and said things just to see what looks they would elicit. Later that night we went home and called two teachers while on a giddy chip-induced high).
Today you will enter a warehouse of a restaurant to discover “ehh” margs priced at either 99 cents or 1.99 depending on the day and the locale (Wooster Mondays – 99 cents, all day; Friday and Saturday any locale, 1.99). Don’t get the white bean soup – it’s kinda generic and salty, if you order the taco salad, you’ll be eating it for the next five days (although it is pretty good, slide into a baked taco salad bowl), do get the enchilada sampler that sits towards the end of the menu for about 13 dollars and split it with a friend. It’s tops. Multiple types of enchiladas and other items, food enough for three I’d say.
Queso there is also always a sensation. You can also just order a taco a la carte for a few dollars, which is what I selected on my last venture there. If only good Mexican eats were still cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. For the cheapest of cheap – and an authentic experience – head down to La Lolitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment