Monday, September 13, 2010

The Zen Garden

http://www.zengardenrestaurant.org/ 

Celebrating the birthday of a loved one who enjoys peace and calm has never been easier. Tonight I meditated my way to Zen Garden, my mother noting the smell of marijuana echoing from a behind a bar next door. We entered the one room house and were greeted by the mellow faces of the two couples in the restaurant. It has been years since I've been to the restaurant - last time I was there I took a busload of high school seniors from rural Kentucky in to experience their very first tofu. What fun!

My go-to dish, which I have selected over the years at both Lemongrass Cafe and Cafe Mimosa, is the spring roll bean sprout salad on vermicelli noodles. Well, let's just say that I thought I ordered that tonight only to be disappointed by some random frothy tofu meat soup with sauce on the side (called Northern Noodle Soup - don't get it!). My mother, though, ate a wonderful black bean sauced stir fry with white rice that was perfectly seasoned. It inspired her to search for the sauce at Kroger's even! My father got my go-to dish of egg-roll and noodles. Sub-par, but the soothing experience and gallon of jasmine tea I imbibed have us sure to come crawling back for more food to support this local non-profit, one-of-a-kind restaurant in the 'ville!

Should your stomach still be aching for some Asian, give Cafe Mimosa a try at its new location on Bardstown Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment