Friday, September 2, 2011

The Pastry Pub

http://www.cedarcitypastrypub.com/

So I have been deliquent in my posting! I am embarking on some high-class establishments here very soon so I decided to go ahead and try to ameliorate the backlog that was created in part due to a lack of internet. Here I began.

While traveling across the United States I encountered some very scrumptious and very poorly prepared cuisine. Salmon that was not cooked all the way through.. time and time again after sending it back to the kitchen. American fast food, in the absence of all else.

I am here to report that the dining adventure I enjoyed the most during my trip to the west coast was: the Pastry Pub, of Cedar City, Utah. Weird, you say, because it's a mostly mormon town and the likeness of the place's name itself mocks drinking. The Pastry Pub serves goodness in large, bizarre portions, in a very old school setting. The prices are right - everythings around 7 dollars, but what you get is off-the-charts.

I decided to order the weirdest thing on the menu, duh! that's what I always do. The dish featured a bottom layer of a yellow saffron rice. Rice that was to die for and featured in all of their dishes. What followed sounds weird, but was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Pastry puff, steak, cheese, artichokes, avacados. I can't even tell you what went on in my mouth. But that meal was heavenly. It was as if every piece of the meal was cooked with attention and excellent seasoning and then mixed in a way that elicited perfection.

In fact I was so impressed with my split meal and salad that only cost 7 dollars and so enamored with the dish that I almost ordered another one. I should have to say I did! Damn that was good! I would stop in cedar city just to eat there again in the quaint home to some of the oddest creations I've ever seen. Their menu isn't even online and my memory isn't that sound. They have quesadillas though. Salads. Shakes. Mmm. Tasting that food tasted like home.

Go on to their website and look at the photos they have of their food. Very unique, ehh?

Next on my food adventure list: Din Tai Fung's Sunday morning Dim Sum! Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Next time I'm in Cedar City, I'll order two plates of pastry puff rice steak!

    ReplyDelete