Saturday, July 23, 2011

Giac Loc of My Tho

In a busy intersection near the catholic churches and buddhist temples of My Tho, Vietnam you can find  a lovely corner restaurant that surpasses all expectations. Workers in the restaurant wear uniforms. The selection is incredible and includes two multi-tiered carts of meat options. The only thing is - there's no actual meat in this place. I don't think I'd ever know the difference. I had - honestly quite close to - the finest beef and sausage I've ever had in my entire here. This is my taste bud mecca. Come one, come all, to the circus!
Tofu and Rice noodle rolls with peanuts and mixed greens
At the intersection of delight and harmony - I should say - is where you'll find this place. We got the opportunity to dine there with fellow buddhists (vegetarians) from the university on one occasion and just had to come back.  We had already eaten about an hour or two prior to coming and asked not to have anything. Instead, we imbibed some sting (big red-ish/energy drink tasting) and green tea and enjoyed several dishes.


I was amazed at the quality of the food. They can think of 1,000 different things to do with tofu to make it not taste, look, or think like tofu at all. Tofus were alive at one point, right? Anyway, my soy senses were satisfied but not overdosed at this amazing restaurant. We ate some pho and then had the real treat, pictured above. I could have eaten the whole, friggin thing! Take some lettace, some cilantro, peanuts, lemongrass and mint, and devour rice noodle rolls and sausage/baconesque tofu that tastes like really good beef/sausage and looks kind of like savory bacon in a kabob form (if that's possible). Wow! It was really exquisite! I cleaned the house on that one!
Selection of fus (tofus, that is)
When we came back just two days later we  ordered freely and the highly of our order were the fresh spring rolls served with a due serving of sauces. Wow! Fresh and excellent. They substitute every meaty item appropriately there. I thought I was eating good-tasting fruit de mer instead of fu fu fu my tofu. It wasn't quite as pinnacle as our premier experience, but still gave us shelter from the rain and an incredible view of kids playing in the puddles on the street.


This restaurant does have a bathroom, in case you're in the vicinity, as does the post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment