Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Winston’s Restaurant

www.sullivan.edu/winstons

Last Saturday evening I dined in the calm ambience of Winston’s restaurant, part of the Sullivan culinary school. Chefs serve up plates at Winston’s before graduated from the school and matriculating into real world fare. Our meal on Saturday was nothing less than excellent.

The menu features two types of items: small plates and large plates. As shared appetizers several of us ordered some small plates and sides to share. These included the pave beet salad, truffle fries, sweet potato fries, scallops, scotch egg, and the half not brown. All were decadent and good. I highly recommend the scallops, truffle fries and scotch egg especially.

The scotch egg was a hardboiled egg seasoned and served in a flavorful, but not spicy cream sauce. The egg was encrusted in a panko bread crumb mix before frying and had some country ham around it (what’s known as country ham sausage). It was one of the more unique and tasty items on the menu.

The truffle fries consisted of little potato fries cut into tiny pieces and salted, then served with a truffle mayonnaise. These fries were different from other truffle fries I’ve sampled in that they were not sprinkled with truffle oil, but came with what’s known as a truffle emulsion that was mixed with a mayo-like aioli (it was aioli, but more like mayo in texture and taste). All the sauces they served with items scallops, fries, and sweet potato fries were divine! Accept their offer to bring you some sauce with your fries, should you dine there.

Finally the scallops I had were excellent. They didn’t compare with scallops at limestone and weren’t quite as large or flavorful as those at bonefish, but were served in a lobster butter sauce that wasn’t overpowering and was just right. They also came with a spicy sauce and a ginger sauce, both of which were fresh and exquisite, but neither quite hit the spot like the butter sauce they were drizzled in. I would definitely make a return trip for the scallops!

For our entrées we dined on the mojo risin’ meat mixture served in a plastic bag, vegetarian stack, not brown, and pan seared salmon. I enjoyed my pan seared salmon – the cream sauce, again, was stellar. But the salmon itself lacked in flavor. I want to think that I don’t have to garner anything from a rich sauce to enjoy my meat or fish, but in this case I did. So in that aspect my meal was subpar. However in the sauce were yellow bell peppers and new potatoes that were cooked perfectly, as well as country ham that was a little too salty for my taste. I don’t think I’d order this entrée again even though the sauce was very fresh and yummy, just because its “meat” was lacking in flavor – and it was probably fatty!



The not brown and vegetarian stack disappeared from our table quickly, as did the mojo risin’. However, I thought the whole concept behind the mojo risin was weird. Sure it makes sense that you should bake these meats together (shrimp, lobster, crab) in a sauce and seal in the flavor. But it looks very unrefined to serve someone a plastic bag. Maybe if we were trick-or-treating and begging for food…

For dessert we tried the crème brule, cheesecake, and orange-chocolate cake. All were excellent yet my favorite was the cheesecake (no surprise here!). Good cheesecake gets me every time. It was served with a strawberry sauce that was sweet as well as with fresh strawberries on top. The crème brulee was a little too grainy and not creamy enough for my tastes. The chocolate cake was whoaaaa decadent, but gets high marks! I loved the mixed custardy orange center. That cake can show up in my fridge anytime!

Our wine favorites for the evening consisted of all reds: I picked the mysterious Chilean’ “Chono” wine, which was a hit, while others tried its white sibling and a cabernet sauvignon called “canyon road.” I think the cab was my favorite wine of the evening. It was well balanced and flavorful without being too fruity or front-of-the-mouth.

To all current and former Sullivan students: Wow! You really got a lot going for ya. Eat on!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't heard of this place. Sounds adventuresome. You probably don't want to know about this after the fact, but there's a $25 gift certificate for $15 here: Restaurant.com coupon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tongue is hanging out as I type. Great review, Claire! This sounds great. I have a friend who graduated from Sullivan not too long ago, and I'll have to share your delight with him. What are the prices like here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question. The prices are reasonable for the small plates at perhaps 6-11 dollars per item. But the larger plates are around 20-30 dollars. Small plates and drinks = could be a light, fun evening for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And regarding JJ's comment, Restaurant.com seems to have those sorts of deals to each and every restaurant! Some restaurants don't honor their deals (they are fully refundable, though). I have never used them to buy gift cards or look up deals, but will let you know if I do.

    ReplyDelete