Monday, March 28, 2011

Mojito Tapas

http://mojitotapas.com/

Mojito Tapas restaurant strikes a chord of elegance in dining and presentation that I think is unmatched in similar, middle-end locales. I affentionately refer to the restaurant as "mojito's" and have their number listed as such on my speed dial. The cuban cousin of Havana Rumba restaurant is always booked and allows for thirty minute call-ahead seating arrangements, which is great.

Their menu has, well, everything on it. Soups, salads, tacos, cheeses, tapas, desserts, flatbreads, sandwiches, traditional cuban, barbecue, and even pasta. All are served inexpensively and in a traditional tapas style meaning that they are meant to share. Thus, if that is not your persuasion it is important to keep that in mind when entering the restaurant as goers will want to share (even between tables).



Recently when dining there I had the opportunity to sample the guacamole, queso fundido, tabla de chimichurri, ropa vieja, shrimp pot,  pina colada, mojito, and churros. My recommendations, based on the food here and the same recipes that appear at Havana Rumba are as follows: the caesar salad is always excellent, ditto the guacamole. The restaurant is supposed to be based off "mama's cooking"-type recipes and homemade cuisine with no artificial ingredients or additives. I'd say it works pretty darn well! Drinks are excellent and include fresh mint, sugar cane, and pineapples!

I just love getting a plate of tacos or the beef empanadas here and was pleasantly surprised this past visit by the ropa vieja. I've had it before at Havana Rumba and have been disappointed; however, at Mojito Tapas it was cooked perfectly and full of flavor. Skirted meats sometimes dry out, but this meat was moist, not fatty, and full of flavor. The rice, beans, and plaintain chips it was served with topped it off.

Admittedly, I don't think I would order the shrimp if I went here again. I was hesitant in ordering it and rightfully so. The smell of the shrimp, its sauce, or something always wafts around the restaurant and it never smells fresh. I wish I could definiteively say that it's not the meat that is smelly and sour, but the taste of that dish was just off. My friend enjoyed it as she always does, but I will not order it again.

Additionally the churros were a little plain for my taste as well as the queso. I've had the queso before and been disappointed, though their cheese plates and cheese selection are both exquisite. For example their goat cheese is downright divine and very well-plated (served with bread or honey, depending on the cheese). I think if I went back to mojitos I would spring for a fish taco of some sort and an empanada - go Cuban!

The decor in the place is chique and offers a wide selection of places to sit: inside, outside, bar, glass interior. The lights inside are dim, which allows for a very cool mood! The patrons of the restaurant are mostly older locals, so it wouldn't exactly house a bar in which a young person would want to look for a date. Our service was prompt and reliable; however, I think our waitress was waiting for us to leave at 9pm, as she jetted out the door herself after we got up.

For a fun reading on how "tapas" originated, check out the LEOs new review of Mojitos, which ran the same week we dined there: http://leoweekly.com/dining/small-plates-add-big-meal-mojito



2 comments:

  1. I've been there once and was satisfied. The mojitos are definitely the best -- the freshest in town. I like the Albondigas, the meatballs. However, the calimari is too breaded for my taste. All breading and no tentacles! I also know it's not best for a tapas style meal with friends, but the De Pescado, the fish sandwich, is really good! Let's go for mojitos and tapas soon! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. Albondigas I will have to try! I've been on a meatballs binge here recently. I also want to try the paella there. But I need a willing paella partner - it takes an hour to make and costs an arm and a leg!

    I would be down for a return visit there, pronto. But maybe some cafe cubana first?

    ReplyDelete